- Athletic Training Room
- Locker Room Entry & Players Lounge
At a Glance
1125 George Rogers Blvd.
Columbia, SC 29201
Williams-Brice Stadium, formerly Carolina Stadium, was first constructed in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Then, it seated 17,600 Gamecock fans. It has undergone a number of expansions and revisions over the years, with the largest prior to the 1982 expansion coming in 1971-72. A bequest from the estate of Mrs. Martha Williams-Brice helped boost the capacity then from slightly more than 43,000 to greater than 54,000.
Mrs. Williams-Brice’s husband, Thomas H. Brice, was a Gamecock football letterman from 1922-24, and her family operated the Williams Furniture Company in Sumter. She left a substantial inheritance from the furniture fortune to her nephews, Thomas W. and Philip L. Edwards, much of which they passed on to the University of South Carolina. That included a bequest for the stadium project.
The name was officially changed from Carolina Stadium to Williams-Brice Stadium in dedication ceremonies during the Sept. 9, 1972 opener with Virginia.
Added in 2012 was a $6.5 million state-of-the-art videoboard that sits above the north stands. It measures 36’ x 124’.
In 2015, the $14.5 million Springs Brooks Plaza transformed the entire circumference of Williams-Brice Stadium into an aesthetically pleasing walkway with the look and feel similar to the majestic Gamecock Park.
In 2020, renovations to the 400 East (Traditions Club), 100 West (Horseshoe Club), and sections 11-13 (Cockaboose Club) resulted in a new capacity of 77,559.